• featured
  • verified

Huon Valley Council

The beauty, charm and heritage of a bygone era
  • 0 ( 0 votes)

Government & Associations



The Huon Valley Council is the southernmost local government area in Australia. The area retains the beauty, charm and heritage of a bygone era, yet it is only a 30-minute drive from Hobart. The main townships are Huonville, Franklin, Cygnet, Geeveston and Dover.

Community engagement is about us working together to understand and resolve an issue or project. It is a process that involves the public in decision making and the use of community input to make better, more informed decisions.


Health and Wellbeing

Huon Valley Council’s Community Development Program run a number of courses and information sessions for the community throughout the year. For further information, to be included on the health promotions database or to make suggestions for future events please contact the Council

Environmental Health

The Council’s Environmental Health Unit is responsible for the assessment and management of risks to public health, safety and well-being, and provides direction and education to the community.

Waste Management

he Council operates four waste transfer stations – at Southbridge (Huonville), Cygnet, Geeveston and Dover. Recycling facilities are also provided at the waste transfer stations. There is also a Re-Use Shop at the Southbridge Waste Transfer Station.

Waste and recycling that is brought to the waste transfer stations is taken out of the Huon Valley for recycling or disposal.

Huon Valley Council has partnered with a number of national recycling initiatives, including drumMUSTER, ChemClear and MobileMuster.

The Council also runs a kerbside collection service for household waste and recycling.


From 1 January 2017, the Tasmanian government has introduced the new Building Act 2016 which regulates building and plumbing works.

The new Building Act takes a risk-based approach to building approvals so low risk building, plumbing and demolition work, and some medium risk work, can be done without seeking a building permit from the Council.

However, before lodging a building or plumbing application and before carrying out any works you will need to find out if you require planning approval.

What are my responsibilities under the Building Act?
The Building Act 2016, and the Building Regulations 2016, regulate building and plumbing work in Tasmania. These laws and codes apply to everyone who undertakes building and plumbing work.


The Council is responsible for statutory and strategic land use and development, including the assessment of applications for use and development on land and under the Huon Valley Interim Planning Scheme 2015, and assessment of planning scheme amendments, subdivisions and strata schemes.

No content available.

No content available.

No content available.

0 Reviews

Information : No Reviews Found.

Leave Your Rating

  • Ease of Appointment
  • Promptness
  • Courteous Staff

Leave Your Review


Loan Calculator