• featured
  • verified

Circular Head Council

Tasmania's most beautiful and productive location
  • 0 ( 0 votes)

Government & Associations



Located in far north-west Tasmania, Circular Head covers an area of 4,917km². The municipality gained its name from the unusual land formation commonly known as "The Nut" at Stanley, the solidified lava lake of a long-extinct volcano. The formation was sighted by Bass & Flinders on their historic circumnavigation of Tasmania in 1798.

Circular Head’s beautiful coastline is one of the longest in the State and its fertile soils, coupled with a gently undulating landscape, support more than thirty per cent of Tasmania’s dairy farms. The municipality has regular rainfall, especially during the winter months, along with some of the world’s cleanest air.

Circular Head is located just one hour west of Burnie, one of Tasmania’s largest regional cities. For those heading to the mainland, Burnie-Wynyard Airport provides 55-minute direct flights to Melbourne and beyond. The municipality offers a wide variety of work and lifestyle options. Whether you are looking for a sea-change or a tree-change, you will find the best of both worlds in Circular Head.



What to do in an emergency
If you find that a Council street and/or road is blocked due to a fallen tree please contact Council on 6452 4800. After hours, this number will provide a list of after hours emergency contacts. If the road is a State Government road please contact any of the numbers via the following website http://www.transport.tas.gov.au/contact if you are unsure whether it is a State Government or Council owned street/road please contact either Council or State Growth who will be able to confirm this for you.

Works in a Council street/road
Anyone proposing to undertake works within a Council street is required to apply to Council for a Activity within the Road Reservation permit. Works in a Council street include but are not limited to: -

Construction of vehicular driveway crossover and or footpath
Construction of driveways
Developing a nature strip
Telstra land access
Aurora, TasWater, Gas installation
Placement of waste containers/shipping containers
Under boring of road/footpaths
Trenching across or along roads and footpaths
Works affecting pedestrian or vehicular traffic
Kerb engraving or numbering

Water and Sewerage

TasWater commenced operating on 1 July, 2013 and was formed through the amalgamation of the three Tasmanian Water and Sewerage Corporations namely:

Ben Lomond Water
Cradle Mountain Water
Southern Water, and their service firm;
Tas Water own and operate the water and sewage infrastructure and provide water and sewerage services to the property connection points.

These four Corporations were formed in late 2008 as a result of significant reform of Tasmania's water industry, and commenced trading on 1 July, 2009. The three Regional Corporations (Ben Lomond Water, Cradle Mountain Water and Southern Water) were owned by local government councils within their respective regions. As the shared services business, Onstream was owned by the three Regional Corporations. On commencement, the three Regional Corporations managed the transfer of some $2 Billion in water and sewerage assets from the previous ownership by 29 councils, three bulk water authorities and some state government agencies with the transfer of some 615 staff.

The move to a single corporation
In September 2011, the Board Chairman initiated discussions with owner councils about the potential benefits that could ensue from a single statewide water and sewerage corporation. After a series of reviews, council owners in all regions agreed to move to a single corporation that merged the current four corporations.

Specific governance arrangements were agreed that are now largely incorporated in the Water and Sewerage Corporation Act 2012 (Tas), the new constitution and the new Shareholders' Letter of Expectation. The new corporation was registered as a proprietary limited company under Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) on 5 February, 2013.

Contact TasWater
For any TasWater enquiries please contact them via the following channels.

Telephone 13 6992
Email enquiries@taswater.com.au
Web http://www.taswater.com.au
Fax 1300 862 066
Postal address GPO Box 1393 Hobart Tas 7001
If you are calling from outside Australia, please call +61 3 6237 8378

Food Safety

Registration of Food Business
It is a requirement to register any food business with Council, with the exception of primary food production. Examples include but are not limited to;

Take Aways
These businesses are registered and inspected randomly due to handling of Potentially Hazardous Foods that can harbour and grow bacteria that lead to food borne illnesses. Such foods include dairy, meat, seafood and some fruit when cut.

Businesses that only provide pre-packaged, shelf stable foods need only notify Council once of their intentions. This can be done by completing a Notification of Food Business Form.

Once a new food business applies, Council will assess the application in order to establish risk classification. Please refer to Council's Fees and Charges for current fees.

For those undertaking food handling for the first time, or would like a refresher, please contact Councils Environmental Health Officer or follow the link below for “I'm Alert” food safety training.


Food Safety & Hygiene
Temperature control, hand washing practices and fit out and construction requirements are just some of the factors that may contribute to food borne illnesses or “gastro”. Food related illnesses can impact in more ways than just absenteeism; outbreaks constitute risk to compromised populations such as the elderly, infants and pregnant women.

Salmonella is the most common infection in Tasmania. While rare, Listeria is very dangerous to at risk populations, and can survive at extremely cold temperatures. Again, the free online training provided at the "I'm Alert" website covers skills and knowledge for creating a hygienic environment to produce safe, suitable and wholesome food.

Food Complaints​
Council takes all food related complaints with utmost seriousness, and are duty bound to undertake thorough investigations. Although rare, outbreaks of food borne illnesses can be managed or prevented through quick intervention, and relevant controls can then be implemented.

Council's complaint procedure involves written detail addressed for the attention of Council's Environmental Health Officer, which can then be documented in Council's register, and promptly followed up. Please be advised that all complaints are bound by Council's confidentiality charter.

Useful Links​
Food Standards Code - www.foodstandards.gov.au
Food Labelling (for consumer information please click here)
Raw Egg Control Measure
Manufacturing Controls for Raw Egg Products 2008

Street Stall Application Form (85 kb)
Mobile Food Business Registration Form
Guidelines for Mobile Food Businesses
Food Safety Documents
I’m Alert – Free Online Food Safety Training Program
This online tool is used to train food handlers on food safety and includes:

Sections reflecting the basic food safety principles as outlined in the Food Safety Standards (Eg. Temperature Control, Food Receipt, Food Storage, Hygiene of Food Handlers etc.)
Ability to only select the sections that are relevant to your role
Interactive tasks and quizzes
Printable training acknowledgement form (assists a food business operator and staff to demonstrate skills and knowledge requirements) – click here to view an example
Printable certificate (can be displayed within a food business) - click here to view an example
"Remind me" option (prompts a user to conduct the training again after a nominated time period)
"Notify" option (enables a user to notify others of their completion of the training program)


The local doctors surgery provides an easily accessible child immunisation service (0-4 years of age) (Click Here )

Council provides a school based immunisation program, from 2015 onwards this program will be offered to children in grade 7
Grade 7 students will be offered immunisation against Human Papilloma Virus (Cervical Cancer), Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis
For more information on school immunisation please see www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/peh/immunisation/school_based_immunisation_program
Council no longer provides a monthly child immunisation clinic.
To request a copy of any immunisation records held by Council please complete this form.
For children born since 1996 immunisation records can be accessed from the Australian Childhood Immunisation Register (Click Here).
For the latest on publicly funded immunisation programs in Tasmania please see www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/peh/immunisation

Immunisation is an effective means of protecting your child against harmful disease.

Fire Risk Nuisance Abatement – Vegetation Management

Council's officers assess residential areas during late spring and summer each year to ensure known fire risks are managed to minimise the risk to nearby properties. This includes instances where Council are alerted of perceived fire risks by the public or which are reported by the Tasmania Fire Service. If a fire risk nuisance is determined to exist then an abatement notice is issued under the Local Government Act 1993. Failure to comply with this notice may result in Council taking action to ensure that the property is made safe.

Environmental Health

As of March 1 the State Government has introduced new smoke-free areas across Tasmania. These areas are listed in the document below.

1. People are required with the smoke free area provisions as of March 1;

2. Council is responsible to for its facilities such as sporting grounds, swimming pools, public buildings and playgrounds;

3. Council does not police this law at private facilities such as hotels. Policing will be handled by the State Government, which has appointed two officers to oversee this requirement. To report a breach in these areas contact the Public Health Hotline on 1800 671 738.


Effective 01 November 2010 the Circular Head and Waratah-Wynyard Councils have implementing an updated "Activity in Road Reservation" permit system.

In accordance with Section 46 of the Local Government (Highways) Act, from the 01 November 2010 works can only be undertaken in a Circular Head Council or Waratah-Wynyard Council road reservation after receiving this permit.


Undertaking Building or Development
In Tasmania undertaking the development and use of land and doing building work is covered by two main laws.

Planning Permits & Land Use Planning (Land Use Planning and Approvals Act 1993)
Building and Plumbing Permits (Building Act 2016).
Local Councils have the role of applying these state laws through Planning Schemes and Planning Permits, and the system of Building and Plumbing Permits. These laws setup a system of standards, codes and regulations designed to provide for public safety, amenity and sustainable use of built and natural resources.

Depending upon the location, scale and type of work or development you are undertaking permits under either or both of the processes may be required. There are very few types of building works that may be undertaken without a permit.


Circular Head Council manages four (4) cemeteries within the Circular Head area. These are:

Circular Head Lawn Cemetery, Bass Highway near Stanley junction; and
Smithton Public Cemetery, 20 John Street, Smithton
Irishtown Cemetery, Irishtown Road, Irishtown
Stanley Burial Ground, Browns Road, Stanley
Also, a Niche Wall for interment of ashes is located at the Circular Head Lawn Cemetery.

The Stanley Burial Ground and Smithton Public Cemeteries are closed except for existing reservations, and the Circular Head Lawn Cemetery and Irishtown Cemetery are still open.

Other cemeteries exist within Circular Head that are managed by churches or private bodies, and Council do not hold any records for these. Contact details can be obtained from the Infrastructure and Development Services Department.

Reservations for Graves

In many cases, people choose to reserve a specific gravesite prior to passing away. This is available at the Circular Head Lawn Cemetery, and the Irishtown Cemetery, and involves completion of a Request for Exclusive Right of Burial form, and payment of the prescribed fee (see Fee Schedule). Confirmation of the reservation is completed only when the fees are paid in full.

It is recommended that viewing of the cemetery plan be arranged prior to organising a reservation, as you are requested to nominate a plot number for identification purposes.

Cemetery Plaques

Council advises that for any burial as of 1 July 2017, plaques will now need to be arranged by your preferred funeral home.

Placement of Ashes

Circular Head Council allow placement of ashes into existing graves, at any of the cemeteries under their control. It is optional for the family to be present at the time the ashes are placed in the grave (upon request with reasonable notice given). A new plaque including the deceased person's details may be required in this case which is at the family's cost (for all cemeteries).

Ashes can also be placed in the Niche Wall, located at the Circular Head Lawn Cemetery. This can be arranged through the Funeral Directors at the time of the funeral, or directly through Council. A standard style container is used, and if the ashes are presently in any other container, they need to be transferred to the correct container. Council, under no circumstances, will complete this on behalf of the relatives. No ashes can be placed in the Niche Wall until a plaque is ordered and received, as this is attached once the ashes container is placed in the wall.

Further assistance can be obtained by contacting the Infrastructure Services Department on (03) 6452 4820.

Animal Control

Council provides an dog control service. New state laws to control cats started on the 1 July 2012. Circular Head Council has no role in the control of cats please read below for more information and links to the state government cat control web page.

Council's dog control fees can be found here. Important information to remember in relation to Council's dog control fees:

The registration period commences on the 1 June and concludes on the 31 May the following year.
If you register a dog within 14 days from date of purchase (evidence is required), you will be eligible for Council's discount period registration fee.
A certificate of sterilisation is required for any sterilised dog to be eligible for the reduced fee.
Guide dogs or hearing dogs are required to be registered. There is no charge for these dogs.
All dogs must be microchipped after the age of 6 months.
For information on changes to dog control laws, please go to www.dpac.tas.gov.au/divisions/lgd/dog_control

If you have any questions about animal control within the Circular Head please contact us on (03) 6452 4800.

No content available.

No content available.

No content available.

0 Reviews

Information : No Reviews Found.

Leave Your Rating

  • Ease of Appointment
  • Promptness
  • Courteous Staff

Leave Your Review


Loan Calculator